Woman Robs Church of Bingo Money

Cheektowaga Woman Robs Bingo Money 123 Bingo Online

"Handcuffs on table" by U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Gustavo Castillo - http://www.spangdahlem.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/2013/04/130402-F-VI983-030.JPG. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons

Cheektowaga Woman Robs Church of Bingo Money

Kim Pietrzak, a 46-year-old woman from Fairelm Lane, was accused of stealing almost $50,000 worth of bingo money from the Resurrection Parish of Cheektowaga last November. The theft took place over the course of two years between 2010 and 2012 when she was employed as a business manager by the church.

On Wednesday, she pleaded guilty to third-degree grand larceny, one count out of twenty-eight possible charges she could be facing. Pietrzak admitted to Erie County Judge D'Amico that the money was used to go gambling and although she stated that other members of the church staff were also involved, she remains the only person charged in the theft. The woman has returned a check for $10,000 as restitution, which has been accepted by the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo.

The investigation was started when officials began to notice accounting discrepancies and suspicious irregularities in the church finances, which prompted an audit to take place. Over a series of months, the audit uncovered several discrepancies within the fund.

Once the matter was reported to the authorities, the investigation was led by the county's district attorney's office. Ms. Pietrzak was eventually charged with multiple counts, ranging from grand larceny to forgery of business records. Prosecutors found she covered her tracks through a check substitution scheme.

Kim Pietrzak was also accused of the theft of more than $1,000, which were personal charges placed on the church's credit card. The sentencing is scheduled for July 8 for Pietrzak, who is currently released without bail. Her most serious charge, the count of grand larceny, holds a maximum prison sentence of seven years but the judge has stated that if jail time were ordered, it would be a maximum of one year. The woman faces up to five years probation and a fine of up to $5,000.

Other articles: